Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zaily sleeps on the bed with me every night, and I like that since I live alone. My problem is- she refuses to jump up on the bed herself. She will sit there, whining & barking forever till I pick her up and put her on the bed. I know she can jump up there herself, I've seen her do it several times now. It's getting tiresome to have to drop what I'm doing & boost her up on the bed whenever she starts whining. How the heck do I get her to do it herself? I've tried sitting on the bed & encouraging her to jump, but she just sits there & whines. She'll whine until you pick her up, and if you don't she just goes & lays down on the floor & looks sad. I don't know if she is just not aware that she can get up there herself or if she's just lazy, but this is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
She's trained you to pick her up and put her on the bed. We had this same problem with Haus as a pup(our bed is kind of high). Now, you really don't want pups jumping anyway, I'd suggest maybe getting a staircase(as weird as it sounds) so that she can get on the bed herself.

Don't pick her up when she's whining, or she'll come to expect it. And it will be hard when she's bigger. I'm sitting here laughing at the thought of me trying to pick Haus up to put him on the bed....he's 70 lbs. :lol: Sorry, I'm not laughing at you, just my monster of a dog. Anyway, just ignore the whining(as awful as it is). Make her sit and be quiet, then allow her on the bed.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
HausMommy said:
She's trained you to pick her up and put her on the bed. We had this same problem with Haus as a pup(our bed is kind of high). Now, you really don't want pups jumping anyway, I'd suggest maybe getting a staircase(as weird as it sounds) so that she can get on the bed herself.

Don't pick her up when she's whining, or she'll come to expect it. And it will be hard when she's bigger. I'm sitting here laughing at the thought of me trying to pick Haus up to put him on the bed....he's 70 lbs. :lol: Sorry, I'm not laughing at you, just my monster of a dog. Anyway, just ignore the whining(as awful as it is). Make her sit and be quiet, then allow her on the bed.
Ditto. You know she is perfectly able to get up there herself, and she will do it if you ignore her when she whines. Dogs are just like kids; if they can get you to do it for them, they will. :D

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Tora will whine and complain until the cows come home but I am scared that if I give in she will think that she is the boss. I worry that if I start giving in to things like that today, tomorrow she will be 80lbs and dragging me everywhere. If you give your pup an inch expect her to take not 1 but 10 miles... I tell her no when she starts whining if she does it again she gets sprayed with her old foe the spray bottle. She hates it but it makes her stop without force. Spray bottles do not work for all dogs but it may help you twart the whining

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK- we've made a bit of progress & I think I've pinpointed the problem. Its not that she's lazy or spoiled, it IS that she doesn't know how to get up, sort of anyways. She jumped up herself 3 times tonight right in front of me(and I praised her to high heaven each time), BUT- all 3 times were with a bit of a running start. The times when she whines are when she's right there at the edge of the bed & I'm on it. I can see her trying to claw her way up, so she IS trying to get up herself, I think she just hasn't yet grasped the concept of taking a few steps back. Now I just have to figure out how to teach her to do that, lol...

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I used a step stool next to my bed for Harley. It had good rubber grips, so she couldn't slip. Cheaper than a staircase, but same idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts