Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
murphy, our 8 month old neutered AB male will not listen to us! he's actually pretty good at home, but this past weekend we took him to Florida where he was around alot of other dogs and distractions and he totally will not listen to us when we say come, stay, or really anything. he was a complete bully to all the other dogs. he's not mean, just dominant. he paws them, and pulls on their ears and just will not stop for anything! he has been socialized ALOT! we always take him to the dog park (even though i know alot of people are against this), and we take him everywhere we go. he knows come, sit, stay, but will not listen when there are distractions. we even started thinking he was deaf, but we know he's not, b/c he hears when he wants to. so, what do you AB owners recommend? sending him to obedience school? if so, where? i live in new orleans now. or is this type of behavior not trainable? how do i make him stop being so dominate to other dogs and how do i make him listen to me???

·
Registered
807 Posts
Being dominate is what Bully's tend to do. Not much you are going to do about that. With him not listening more OB work with distractions around. Take him out and practice with him on a leash. Correct him when he does not want to listen to you. We have/had the same problem with Chassis. She is so far from perfect but she is getting better. It took some corrections with the pinch collar to get her attention. They are bullheaded dogs, so you have to stay persistant.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you recommend punishing him when he doesn't come when called? i've heard it's not good to do that, but i don't know what else to do?

·
Registered
807 Posts
How old is he? If he is young use treats. Put him on a long lead and take him to the park and start work with him. Keeping him focused on you when you call him is important. We started Chassis on the pinch around 6 months, she pulled real bad on walks and it was easier to break her of that on the pinch. As she has gotten older we use the pinch when she is really being hard headed. It usally only takes a small corection with the pinch for her to obey her command. Im still real new to trainning a bully. So Im sure there are people who can answer your questions better. These are just the methods we have used. :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Murphy said:
do you recommend punishing him when he doesn't come when called? i've heard it's not good to do that, but i don't know what else to do?
It is not good to call him-then punish him. Then obviously they won't want to come to you. They will think its a bad thing. I think what Red means is to put him on a leash and them call him, that way if he doesn't come you can correct him. I have heard so many people say "don't tell your dog to do something that you can't reinforce". I have learned that this is very important! When my female quit coming to me when I said "come" I told everyone in the house to not use that word with her until I can re-teach and reinforce it. It worked!!! So maybe you can give that a try, hopefully it will work as well for you as it did me. She now knows that when I tell her "come" she better "come" otherwise she will get her leash yanked and she hates it!

·
Registered
790 Posts
think like a dog.

tell me WHY he should listen to you. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW.....THEN YOU JUST ANSWERED WHY HE DOES NOT.

Bulldogs are a creature of habit. Training is forming a habit, that is all.

So, give him a reason to come to you QUICKLY. Perhaps weiners? tugs? ball?

Do not set yourself up for failure.

BIGGEST MISTAKE PEOPLE MAKE WITH THEIR DOG IS................not rewarding the dog for correct behavior with perfect timing. Timing is everything. Sounds simple, right? However, this is the ONLY real difference between a good trainer and an average joe. Seriously.
When you call your dog, be prepared to reward. If you do not have a reward do not call him. If he comes and you have no reward, think about what that taught him. Think. You guessed it. He just learned that EVEN IF HE LISTENS TO YOU, THERE IS NO PAYOFF. YOU JUST TAUGHT YOUR DOG NOT TO COME TO YOU . Get it?????

Set yourself up for success and there is no problem.

don't think correction. That is a BAD mindset. Think about how you can set it up so that you can reward him. If you do this consistantly, the dog will come like a freaking rocket!

If you cannot accomplish these simple tasks, then maybe, a smaller, less stubborn dog will be more suitable for you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Peter, I too have this problem with Stymie. However if instead of come I say cookie, he comes immediately. I am going to go back to giving a cookie every time he comes on come, but how long until you stop giving the reward?

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I agree with what everyone else said. Also, some tips, don't use the dogs name when your scolding, that only teaches him that his name is not a bad thing. A lot of people the only time they say there dogs name is when there mad and the dog interperts that as the "no" command and it just confuses everything up. When your saying the command, say the name first then the command like "Rover, COME!" not "Come, Rover!". By saying "Come, Rover!" by the time you have the dogs attention by his name, he's like "what?" and then it gets people frustrated. So Always say the name then the command.

·
Registered
790 Posts
the reward never stops.

the duration between a reward does.
As soon as the dog comes like a lightning bolt, you ask him to sit. If he does then reward.
Now, he does come and sit. After he gets that perfect, go to come, sit and stay 10 seconds, 1 minute. so on.

chain it up. Of course this is where genetics come in. A mal will have infinite attention span. Most bullies do not.

However, the principle is the same.

YOu never give up on rewards. The dog just has to do more and more to get it. To encourage the dog along, I use the command 'good' as a mini reward. the dog knows he is on track to his reward. This way the dog is ALWAYS motivated.

At the end, if you do everything right, the dog will be TOTALLY crazy for the reward. So much so, that NOW you will have a good problem. Try to clear his head and calm him down!

People say well, I don't have food all the time. Well, how about a toy, a ball, or tug?

Let me put it to you in terms of human terms. If you do a job for your employer, will you do it for nothing? I just love my boss. I just want to do it because I love him????? That is a stupid statement right?

So, why do you expect your dog to do it? Most dogs love their owners. However, most dogs do not work for free. Like you.

Once this mindset of forcing your dog to do things with corrections is gone, you are on your way.

However, most people will continue to do things their own way. That is human nature.

good luck

·
Registered
790 Posts
PS
If you use rewards correctly.............you rarely have problems with dogs not coming to you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: the reward never stops.

PeterC said:
Let me put it to you in terms of human terms. If you do a job for your employer, will you do it for nothing? I just love my boss. I just want to do it because I love him????? That is a stupid statement right?

So, why do you expect your dog to do it? Most dogs love their owners. However, most dogs do not work for free. Like you.
Yeah, but most people don't get paid every day, AND they do like to be appreciated for a job well done. Therefore, I don't think giving a treat EVERY TIME is tantamount to getting your dog to listen. I found that treats combined with, chase, fetch, tug, words of encouragement...me simply becoming the best thing in her life, work(ed) better than treats alone do (did). If you are not the coolest thing in your dog's life, a leg of lamb won't keep your dog from exploring the great, big, new world.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all your help! Peter C- you really seem to know what you are talking about. i have a few more questions...so when you say reward, do you always mean food? you mention "tug"? is that a tug on the leash? can you give me some specific instances on how to work on this? like if i take him to the park, and there are alot of distractions, and i call him by saying "come" or "murphy, come" and he does not come, than what??? if he does, than i should give him a little food treat and praise??? what do i do when he totally ignores me? i really want to get this under control! by the way, someone asked how old he was. he just turned 8 months. he is also a neutered male. oh, also, i just wanted to see what you think about the pinch collar. that is what we have been using on him and he does great when he's on the leash. he doesn't really pull that much. i had to start using it b/c he's just too strong for me, at almost 90 lbs!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Boodgie. I believe in ANYTHING that will motivate my dogs. If it is food, I will use it. If it is a ball, I will use it. If it is peanut butter sandwiches, I use it. TREATS are tugs, toys, food, whatever that motivates the dog. I do not use only pets and hugs. I do not feel this is enough with 99% of dogs. It guides the dog yes, but speed is what is required. FAST compliance, not a slow paced slug motion. That is bad.

I also said to chain the behavior as the dog gets more advanced, so the dog WORKS for his reward.

every dog is different. you have to find out what the greatest reward is for YOUR dog.

During OB
d\My guy is bite the tug or decoy. Simple. ZERO food drive.
My girl is FOOD FOOD FOOD. Does not care a rat's as# about a pet or a hug, while doing OB. She wants and works for the payoff.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thank you Peter. I will make the tasks harder and continue the rewards. Stymie is like your girl, will do ANYTHING for food.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Your Ab behavor didnt sound bad at all. Was playing.Confident puppy. YOU just just need to keep training this puppy. Its young you dont always matter that at this age. Just show him you do and do more training with him/Like peter said food,toys etc.. Gte this puppy coming quickly and wanting to be with you. ABs love to work just give them that extra step to start

1 - 15 of 15 Posts