Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First - how long to u continue to give treats to acheive a desired behavior? What if your dog refuse's to ever do what they are being told to do w/out the treats?

Play - Sam still plays really rough even when I yell OUCH or stop playing for a period of time. This is a new tactic but I'm wondering if there are some dogs you just can't physically play w/ due to their roughness...

Food - this dog is THE pickiest eater I have ever encountered (which is odd since she sure does love the LITTER BOX sicko) and she generally eats only once a day - that's only 1 C of food a day - that cannot possibly be enough for this dog - the real question isn't about food though (sorry rabbit trailed there for a min) the real question is this: when I put her food out in the AM especially she simply is not interested in eating at all. Will wander away, chase the cat, lick a kid whatever. I practice NILF so after 10/15 mins the food gets put up - is this right?

The tug - I'm getting such a mixed response when I bring this up. So many people say YES other's say NO then there's the 'make sure you win most of the time' response. My question is - HOW do you win most of the time? I'm kinda wimpy (yeah I know - real surprise) and this dog is INCREDIBLY strong. Do you make them drop it? Just curious...

Your thoughts/experience's are really appreciated...

Sarah

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I can't help you on most but....

The tug - I'm getting such a mixed response when I bring this up. So many people say YES other's say NO then there's the 'make sure you win most of the time' response. My question is - HOW do you win most of the time? I'm kinda wimpy (yeah I know - real surprise) and this dog is INCREDIBLY strong. Do you make them drop it? Just curious...
I play tug with Orson and there is no way i can get anything out of his
mouth.
I know you can teach them to "drop it" or "give" then YOU have the toy and just put it away when YOU are done.
Orson hasnt quite grasped the "drop it" yet, so when I am done playing,
i just ignore him.
Yes, he will still try to keep playing (sits with head on my leg and toy in mouth or he paws me), but be strong and ignore.
That way, YOU still win!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm so glad to hear u say that cause this dog wants to tug. Any toy I get her she just eats and the Kong only holds a passing interest w/ her. I think I'm just gonna get one for her, cause she is just not happy w/ anything else. I bought her a couple of different things and she shreds everything! Cost me a fortune in 'stuff' already and it's barely been over a month!!!! :shock:

Sarah

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
newpitowner said:
First - how long to u continue to give treats to acheive a desired behavior? What if your dog refuse's to ever do what they are being told to do w/out the treats?
Once you know that your dog, knows the command start to get them randomly, so she? never knows when the treat is coming but I always verbally praise a job well done. Some people will disagree with me but this is what works for me so this is what I do

newpitowner said:
Play - Sam still plays really rough even when I yell OUCH or stop playing for a period of time. This is a new tactic but I'm wondering if there are some dogs you just can't physically play w/ due to their roughness...
Dogs are very black and white, stop playing with him everytime or hearing OUCH maybe a game to him, you have to make it very clear to him that this is unacceptable by being consistant. But yes some dogs are harder to break then others.

newpitowner said:
Food - this dog is THE pickiest eater I have ever encountered (which is odd since she sure does love the LITTER BOX sicko) and she generally eats only once a day - that's only 1 C of food a day - that cannot possibly be enough for this dog - the real question isn't about food though (sorry rabbit trailed there for a min) the real question is this: when I put her food out in the AM especially she simply is not interested in eating at all. Will wander away, chase the cat, lick a kid whatever. I practice NILF so after 10/15 mins the food gets put up - is this right?
Couple of questions what are you feeding they need less if the food is good quality. How old is your pup? As far NILF that is your prerogative I don't but a lot of other do take it away. The kitty treats, they love them I know it is sick!!!

newpitowner said:
The tug - I'm getting such a mixed response when I bring this up. So many people say YES other's say NO then there's the 'make sure you win most of the time' response. My question is - HOW do you win most of the time? I'm kinda wimpy (yeah I know - real surprise) and this dog is INCREDIBLY strong. Do you make them drop it?
Again this is another one of those what works for you? I play tug but I am strong enough to win, IMHO more importantly, I say when it is starting/quiting time. A bunch of this is all about what works for you. If you don't like tug what about a nice game of fetch? Hide and go seek?( I hide and call Tora then we play like mad when she finds me)

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Any toy I get her she just eats and the Kong only holds a passing interest w/ her.
Exactly like mine! The kong is useless after the treat inside is gone and
all stuffed or rubber toys are pulled apart (except his sucking squirrel).

Since your dog is a tugger, try making a springpole.
That way they can tug and pull till their heart is content but you dont have to worry about the win/lose factor.
Here's a link on how to make one...it is great for any dog who loves the tug.
Just put it at dog's level for a tug game or higher for them to hang on. Orson is nuts for it!!
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12496

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks on the tug info - I think I'lll look around my yard and see if there is a place to do something like that....

Sarah

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The VERY FIRST thing we taught Grizwald is a 'release' command. I think it's really essential for all dogs to know, but *especially* pit bulls/bully breeds. I researched a LOT before we got him and read everything I could get my hands on for over a YEAR before we even started looking for a puppy, and I came across this idea everywhere.

Pits love to HANG ON. Because that's one of the #1 reason (stupid) people fear pit bulls, I think it's a really good idea to train a 'release' command RIGHT AWAY. Some people think you shouldn't *ever* play tug-o-war with any dog (because it might reinforce toy aggression), which I can understand. However, I think pit bulls/bullys are a different story. You *should* play tug with them for the express purpose of teaching the a release command. The key seems to be to NEVER let them win, never let them believe that tugging *gets* them the toy/rope/whatever you're using. Releasing it on command does.

As soon as we brought our little guy home and he was settled in a bit, we would play and I'd get him riled up. We'd start a good tug. After a few seconds I'd pull the toy closer to me and look into his eyes and say in an assertive, calm voice "THANK YOU." I'd keep a strong hold on the toy, keep his gaze locked with mine and keep repeating "THANK YOU" until he let go. (It takes a while at first).

Then hide it behind your back quickly and really praise him (we never had to use treats, just praise). Let him really know how happy you are that he let go. Make him sit. Then give the toy back and say "TAKE IT!" and start another game of tug.

I think the reason they don't want to let go is that they think they won't get it back. So train a belief that LETTING GO of it on *your command* is what gets the toy back and keeps the game going. Now when Griz is tugging on anything (like his own leash) or plays "keep away" with something he shouldn't be (like our socks) I can say "THANK YOU" and he'll drop it and sit right away. I am using it with his learning to fetch a tennis ball too! It has worked great for us but keep in mind all doggies are different and it does take some long hours. It's so worth it tho!

Just a tip also, I also think training sessions work best after a fairly good walk (all the crazy puppy dog energy spent), in a quiet, distraction-free environment. Less stress, more focus for both of ya! :) Good luck!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sam is approx. 7-8 mos old and thanks for all the info. I have been working w/ her and her 'release command' is DROP IT and we're working on that. Gotta go walk her right now then if we aren't too tired we'll work on some more OB stuff..

Sarah

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My 2 cents about the dog food. I just reviewed my receipt from Petco, and the last time I bought kibble was at the end of May. That's 3 months for a 40 lb. bag. Harley was 65lbs. at her last check-up. It seems like no where near enough food, but she's a very healthy wieght.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.