Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Rex refuses to drink water, He eats the wet food sometimes and I know it has water but he wont drink water. Before I call the evt I wante dto ask here is there something I can do or anyone have any idea of why he wont drink?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Put water in his kibble, just enough to make it float. You will probably need to divide his food into two portions, morning and afternoon/early evening, so the water + kibble doesnt bloat his belly.

Edit:

Oh .. forgot to add.... maybe put a few ice cubes in his water bowl... see if he likes that... or what kind of bowl is his water in.. maybe he doesnt like the taste if its plastic. Or... maybe he is drinking all his water needs from some other source, water gathered in puddles, lawn furniture, or the ever popular toilet!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Try putting salt on his food so he is more thirsty. the vet suggested this when kate had her first UTI

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Kate said:
Try putting salt on his food so he is more thirsty. the vet suggested this when kate had her first UTI
I think that could be potentially dangerous.
If the dog is truly not thirsty there could be something metabolically wrong and salt would really make him sick. Whenever we have puppies here, they are always drinking water, and we sure don't salt their food.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Also, does the dog/puppy have free access to water? Do you just not see him/her drink or do you know for a fact it is not drinking? Mammals, as a rule, cannot go for more than three days without drinking fluids.

·
Registered
52 Posts
if you are using a metal bowl he may see his reflection and be afraid - also the automatic waterbowls make a gurgling sound that sometimes frightens them -

Good luck - let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
52 Posts
probably not the bowl then

I hope he's alright and that it's not expensive.

let us know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well my female AB Chief is picky..if the water has been sitting in the bowl all day and it's warm and if some of her food has fallen into it she will not drink it. If it's really cold and fresh with or without ice cubes ..she drinks it up!! Not sure if that's the same issue here but I thought I might throw my two cents in.

·
Registered
703 Posts
May I suggest using bouillon cubes. Desolve 1 cube into his water, he should drink it with no problem I had this problem with an old dog that started to decrease his water intake. You can get the bouillon cubes with low salt content it you are worried about the salt. This should work most all dogs I know love beef and chicken broth.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Shay78 said:
Well I called the vet and I take him at 3:50pm, I think something is wrong, Today will make 3 days so im taking him in. He is eating now and still plays and everything. I have no idea what is wrong
Soooo??? What happened, what did the vet say???

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
I think she said in a different thread that Rex wanted bottled water, not tap. That's what the vet said.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts