Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
baylee is always finding pieces of wood to chew on..... i don't know where she gets them. anyway, this morning there were pieces of it everywhere.... like a landmind full of splinters..... i threw the stick away....

has anyone else encountered chewing of sticks, has anyone ever incurred health problems due to it?

thanks in advance :wink:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Mine are constantly chewing on wood! :roll: We have to "hide" the wood for the chimnea we have on the deck. Knock on wood we haven't had any problems yet, but the can get splinters in their throats, stomachs, intestines. Not a good thing. we are very careful not to leave anything around that is made of wood.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
My two will fight over a stick or piece of wood as if it were a steak!!! :lol: Koda eats the bark off the trees, chews on the legs of our furniture, and pretty much anything else that even resembles wood! Wish I had some advice, but I don't...lol. As of yet, we haven't had any health problems because of it, but I better "knock on wood"... :shock:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Tora goes after any stick, tig, or log with in a 100 yards :shock: I am forever taking them away from her.....A girl posted a while back about her dog eating a stick..she said it got logged in the dog's mouth....It had to have surgery to remove it :cry: and it was very expensive and painful :cry:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ouch!

i wish i knew what i could give to keep her jaws busy.... i've tried the kong---she gets bored, i give her bones---they're gone in an hour :roll:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have you tried Nylabones? They last pretty long and Stymie has gotten used to them, he never liked the kongs either.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Sophie chews on wood. She throws up the pine bark she eats, and once I pulled a HUGE splinter from her gums after she had munched on a wooden bird toy. It was massive. And nasty! Had to have been painful.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I finally got a beautiful new deck built but the boy started to eat the stairs!! So now I have this nice wooden deck with chewed up stairs. I don't get it, I left him with a bone and toys to chew on, but he had to eat the deck! I even sprayed bitter apple on the wood, but he doesnt mind it. Then I put hot sauce on the stairs, but he must be a cajun dog, cause he loves hot sauce! So for now, he has lost his "outside by himself" privledges.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we've tried hot sauce, black pepper, vinegar, all kinds of gross stuff and out screen door is still being chewed..... it's a mess....

i feel for ya with a brand new deck....bad doggy!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Processed wood can splinter and cause problems, but natural wood (branches, twigs, logs etc.) that still have some moisture should be just fine for them..in all my days of owning dogs who ate sticks, I've never once had a problem.

Gotta love these bullies and thier love of chewing!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Carrie said:
Processed wood can splinter and cause problems, but natural wood (branches, twigs, logs etc.) that still have some moisture should be just fine for them..in all my days of owning dogs who ate sticks, I've never once had a problem.

Gotta love these bullies and thier love of chewing!
oh it drives me and the b/f nuts!!!

it'd be okay if it wasn't the house or furniture :lol:

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Someone needs to invent a "no chew" spray just for bullies,
cause what other dogs find nasty tasting it seems bullies just eat right threw it.
Maybe it's their high pain tolerance, but nothing works! With my old sheepdog, bitter apple was perfect,
I just showed the bottle to her and she started smacking, drooling and backing away..she hated it.
It doesn't phase Orson, though.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OrsonDogge said:
I just showed the bottle to her and she started smacking, drooling and backing away..she hated it.
lmao!!! too cute :lol:

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
OrsonDogge said:
Someone needs to invent a "no chew" spray just for bullies,
cause what other dogs find nasty tasting it seems bullies just eat right threw it.
Maybe it's their high pain tolerance, but nothing works! With my old sheepdog, bitter apple was perfect,
My friend's Elkhound will chew through the pain too lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts