Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very skinny Pittbull named Scrappy. I was trying to figure out how long i should walk him to tire him out and make him put on weight. What i want most is to start toning his muscle as i plan on making him a weight puller. ALL my friends say put weights on his neck like a thick chain with a padlock, but i read somewhere that messes with the joint growth. they also say attach weights to his leash so that he can pull some weight and get real mucular but he is only 4 months old and that WOULD DEFINETLY mess with his joints. So what can i do, safe for puppies to get their muscles in good shape.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The safest, most effective way to put muscle on a puppy is to just let them be a puppy. Any additional weight you try to add (even just 1-2 lbs!) can hurt their joints and effect their growth. You should NEVER put weight on a puppy. When the dog is around 1 yr old, you can start adding a little weight to get his endurance built up for weight pulling. Competition weight pulling usually doesn't allow dogs under 2 yrs old to enter.

Just let your puppy play and run as he would normally and you'll see muscle growth. Trying to push him to grow faster at a young age will cause more damage than it will benefits.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
A good quality food also helps with a pups body. Crappy food will just go through their system adding no nutrients.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
If you want to put weights on your dog wait until he is about at least a year old. Definately do not put a big chain around his neck with a padlock. Thats the worst thing you could do. Besides being bad for the dogs neck, its just a terrible image of the pit bull. If at the time when he is the proper age and you still want to add weight, there are places that sell comfortable weights for the dogs back and neck. You dont want to exercise him fully until he is at least a year old also.

Just like GTchick said, let him be a puppy. The best thing you can do is let him run around and play.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I agree with what everyone else is saying. Let him be a puppy. Let him run around like a little goofball. Let him have supervised play dates with dogs that you know are UTD on vaccinations and get along well with other dogs.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Muscle tone often comes down to genetics. Let your puppy be a puppy.

Judging by this post and your other post in the Introduce Yourself section it appears you are quite hung up on appearance and size. There is SO MUCH more to a good dog than physical appearance. I have seen alot of big/muscular dogs that I would not even own or feed. To me what's inside the dog is much more important that what it looks like. Physical appearance doesn't get a dog too far. Trust me.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Blockhead said:
I have a very skinny Pittbull named Scrappy. I was trying to figure out how long i should walk him to tire him out and make him put on weight. What i want most is to start toning his muscle as i plan on making him a weight puller. ALL my friends say put weights on his neck like a thick chain with a padlock, but i read somewhere that messes with the joint growth. they also say attach weights to his leash so that he can pull some weight and get real mucular but he is only 4 months old and that WOULD DEFINETLY mess with his joints. So what can i do, safe for puppies to get their muscles in good shape.
Let me start by saying that I don't condone dog fighting in any way, shape or form and that anyone who takes part in it should end up where they belong - in a prison cell as Bubba's girlfriend. That said, I firmly believe that you can't know what your dog should be unless you know what it was originally meant to be, so any references I make to dog fighting are merely for perspective.

Attaching chains and weight to your dog WILL do more harm than good, especially if your dog is young. Joints, bones, vertebrae and connective tissue are severly strained by the constant, excessive load. People who attach weights to their dogs are ignorant and idiotic at best, most probably bordering on retardation. You should be more interested in toning your APBT than bulking him up. I would suggest a treadmill, a spring pole and a lot of playful activity (i.e. fetch). Also, walk him 45 minutes a day minimum.

These are pit fighting dogs - they are bred firstly for gameness and nerve, secondly for endurance. Strength is important only insofar as it does not impede on endurance. How well do you think a bloated, musclebound, heavy dog would do in a fighting pit? APBTs will continue to fight beyond all measure of pain, injury and exhaustion - literally to the death if needs be - and though a dog may look like Arnold Schwarzenneger, be extremely strong and imposing, if it is too exhausted after 15 minutes to fight it is going to either lose or die to the opponent that simply does not quit. Size and strength should not be the focus in conditioning your dog as this is never what the APBT was intended for.

How much does he weigh? If he's over 35 lbs, depending on his frame, he's just fine. Weight should be between 35 and 60 pounds. You should be able to barely make out his ribs though he should not be skeletal or emaciated in appearance in any way. Real APBTs are MEDIUM sized dogs in every regard - everything in proportion. Their physique should look like that of a human boxer, probably in the lightweight to welterweight class (i.e. compact, lean and wirey). With an APBT it is about endurance, not so much strength (although strength is a factor), despite what your uneducated friends may be telling you.

Here is the link to my favorite APBT site. There is some pretty graphic stuff on there, but if you want to understand your dog and his history - what he was, what he is and what he should be - this is a great place to start.

http://www.workingpitbull.com/index.htm

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Who the hell would pose their dog with a bottle of crown royal for their "breeding" site?

Quote from their website, ugh:

"IF YOUR LOOKIN FOR THE SHORT ,WIDE AND BULLY WITH THE BEST DAMN SHOULDERS IN THE COUNTRY..."

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Those dogs and that "breeder" ought to be taken out behind the barn and put out of their misery (yes, the human is suffering - from malignant idiocy).

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dog's father was a fighter, and i do NOT intend to use him for this purpose. I did my studying already and i know that pitbulls have long been used for bull baiting and dog fighting. i didn't ask what his history was, i just wanted to know how to properly work on his muscle's. thank your for your input and i will use your suggestions. But when he is fully developed FAT CHAINS. They help to get him to pull. The only way a pit should be is big head (over 20 inches) and from 60-110 lbs. None of those little snipy ones, and if the regular pit fighter is a small dog that is agile...why would i need that if he isn't a pit fighter. He will be a weight puller so in this case the bigger the better.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Blockhead said:
The only way a pit should be is big head (over 20 inches) and from 60-110 lbs.
110 pit bull? Thats not a pit bull, lol. Why dont you post a pic of what a pit should look like. My AB wont even get to be that big/

But when he is fully developed FAT CHAINS
I dont think you will find many real weight pulling people who use chains to develop their dogs. Please tell me how a huge chain around their neck benefits them in weight pulling and how it does not do damage. How about you wear one around your neck for 24 hours? Just try it.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
You are a moron - female pits should be between 40-60 lbs MAX and 60-80 for MALES!!!!! You obviously dont know ANYTHING about breed standards and are only interested in appearances (and improper ones at that)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Blockhead said:
My dog's father was a fighter, and i do NOT intend to use him for this purpose. I did my studying already and i know that pitbulls have long been used for bull baiting and dog fighting. i didn't ask what his history was, i just wanted to know how to properly work on his muscle's. thank your for your input and i will use your suggestions. But when he is fully developed FAT CHAINS. They help to get him to pull. The only way a pit should be is big head (over 20 inches) and from 60-110 lbs. None of those little snipy ones, and if the regular pit fighter is a small dog that is agile...why would i need that if he isn't a pit fighter. He will be a weight puller so in this case the bigger the better.

Are you kidding me? You are an idiot, where have you been getting your info? It must be the gangster hand book of screwing up dogs and making yourself look like a fool.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Bigger is definately not better in this case!!! You are freakin' unreal, who the hell would put a huge ass chain on a dogs neck and expect it to make it a better weight puller. Not even close to the same work out. All you are going to do is injure your dog, THAT IS IT!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Bremner53 said:
Bigger is definately not better in this case!!! You are freakin' unreal, who the hell would put a huge ass chain on a dogs neck and expect it to make it a better weight puller. Not even close to the same work out. All you are going to do is injure your dog, THAT IS IT!!!
Yeah technique has nothing to with pulling weight, nor genetics.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't put it around their neck hook it around their harness, and let them pull the long chain to add muscle and not have it tied it into the ground. i haven't owned a 110 lb pitbull (Max i have is like 83 named tony). So thank you for calling me a moron, i really didn't intent to put 119, more like around 90. And after reviweing the standard, i noticed how stupid that sounds, my puppy will only be about 75 lbs. sorry for the incorrection.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts