Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Working Dog vs. Pet

• 1. Does your dog work (see definition below)?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Does your dog compete in agility/flyball?

• 3. Does your dog do official obedience classes?

• 4. Does your dog do pet obedience classes?

• 5. Is your dog a pet without any outside training?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't quite sure how to word this for the most accurate results...

I'm trying to divide the dogs into working and pet, but still distinguish 'trained' pets from non-trained...

I'm defining 5 categories:

1. Work: Your dog is trained to; hunt, weight pull, Shutzhund (and all other similar programs), therapy dog, herd, tracking, search and rescue, etc. You must be actively training, even if you don't yet event.

2. Agility/Flyball: Your dog trains in agility or flyball. It doesn't matter if you actually enter competitions as long as you're training as if you were going to.

3. Official obedience: You take AKC/CKC etc. obedience classes, training with the intent to compete. Doesn't matter if your dog is purebred or not - as long as that's the training program you follow.

4. Pet obedience only: Offered by places such as PetsMart, vetrinarian puppy classes, etc.

5. No training: You've taught your dog some of the house rules you want it to follow - but do not attend any organized programs.

...let's see if this works... :D (...and sorry if I missed anything)...

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...oops...that first poll option should read: see definition below...sorry, can't seem to edit it...

· Registered
1,532 Posts
Legend is currently doing OB-Advanced classes, Agility classes, CGC/Therapy classes, Will begin weight pulling training soon and Tracking classes soon.
Gemyni right now doesnt do anything. lol. But has been learning some OB at home to get her ready for beginner's OB class. And we'll take it from there.

· Registered
4,670 Posts
I took Bella to obedience classes when she was 6/7 months old, but she had surgery halfway through the the course, so I had to pull her out before could graduate. (I doubt she would have, anyway!) I've been a bad owner and haven't put her back in a class. :oops: Remy hasn't had any formal training, either. We're thinking about having a personal trainer come out to the house soon. I like the distraction aspect of group training, but I think I'd prefer the one-on-one individualized training of a private trainer.

· Registered
16 Posts
My dog i would have to say is my pet but i trained her to be a therapy dog and she loves it..i think its more for her then it is for them because she is so happy and proud of her self once we leave...she also knows how to help someone up like if they fell and cant get up because of my grandpa hes always falling and now she is right there by his side when he walks and she knows how to stop kids from going by roads lol she learned that all on her own if they even go in the front yard she knocks them down stands over them and braks till you come pick the kid up or you are looking at them...hehe...

· Registered
1,532 Posts
pit_bull_lover said:
Question! How do you get your dog invovled with agility training and/or weight pulling if the dog is dog aggresive? Are these things not an option if your dog does not get along with other dogs?
You will have to teach your dog to ignore other dogs. A trainer could help you with it and teach you proper techniques. I'm sure there are DA dogs participating in weight pulling. But the handler/owner of that dog has complete control and the dog is always focused on the that person! :D

· Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I think it's interesting that at this point in the poll, 60% of the dogs are essentially pet only...

I also figured more dogs would be doing agility/flyball...wonder why not? Is that people aren't interested in it? Or are the dogs not interested in it? Personally, I'm not fond of the training required for agility...but I betcha Celeste would be really good at it...

When flyball first out, it was lots of fun...the corgi I was working with at the time really loved it...but I didn't have the time available then to do both reg. obed. and flyball with him, so we stopped the flyball. It was also a blast to watch...the mixed teams were always my favourites...I remember one team with a Great Dane and a Chihauahua cross...hilarious!!!...

...but then, as with many things, it became very competetive and less fun...and almost all the dogs in the competitive teams were border collies...at that point I lost interest :( ...

Consequently I haven't been keeping up with the 'latest' happenings...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.