1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got his from another board....

Enjoy,
Meagan

In the first week we help the dog out by showing him what we want with the use of food. I begin with kibble but eventually move to hotdogs when I put the food into my mouth..kibble I find a tad bland:

Choose a cue word..I use "ready", but you can use watch, me..whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Here goes:

Have the dog sit in heel position
Hold food in your left hand and have the leash in your right one. It is easier if you use a 2-3 ft lead at this time. For a collar I use a prong but again the choice is yours.

Let your dog sniff the food in your hand so he is interested then slide your hand up the side of your body up to face level. As the food is up beside your face say "ready" and as soon as the dog is looking at you praise him. I say..Good boy, good ready..but it has to be really upbeat, you are happy remember
Immediately feed as you continue to praise.
Start over again, keep repeating the exercise until all but one of the pieces of food are gone. I release my dogs with that final piece. I want my dogs to jump up for it. I use "ok" as my release word, but you can use free or whatever you like. But there has to be a beginning and an end to your training sessions. At this point we aren't expecting more then a second of focus, we are teaching the dog what ready means.

For now practice in a quiet area, a couple of times a day. Always play with your dog after each session, this stuff is dull afterall and we want the dog to want to work.

Work towrds 15 seconds of complete and undivided attention. No corrections! If you dog looks away immediately bring the food back down to him and begin again.. Its all up to you to reward him at the proper times and to keep that focus on your face. At the start you will be feeding almost continously but as the dog begins to grasp the concept you can begin to vary and lengthen the times you reward with food.

***NOTE: This is easier to teach if your dog already has a solid sit stay, as I do correct the dog for breaking the sit.

another way to do this....

I start the focus with the dog sitting in front of me. Food in both hands, and my hands out from my sides (like a T). Dog will look at the hands, then finally glance at me like "what do you want?" I mark it (verbal "yes") and reward. Very quickly they figure out looking at the hands is useless, but looking at my face gets the reward. With the hands away from my side it's clear to me and the dog where they are looking so I can mark the exact behavior I want. If you have your hands at your side the head movement is not as big, so it's easier to mark the wrong thing. And I alternate which hand the reward comes from, so they don't always look to one hand for the reward when I mark the "look". Once the dog will sit and keep eye contact in front of me, with me waving my hands around, putting them behind my back, back out to the side, etc then I move to the heel position step. Usually the dogs catch on fast and move to heel pretty quickly. I continue this focus in every day life. In the kitchen cooking, "look" to get a treat. Want out of the crate, "look" first. Etc.

Dodger and Havoc (littermates) practicing focus work at approx 3 months. I don't usually work two at once, it's to hard to reward at the right time, but both of these guys already knew what "look" meant and we were just playing around

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
shoot, baylee would jump right in my face.

she's difficult to train, or i should put it this way, when it comes to food, she'll do what you ask, but only if you have food :x

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
LOL. That sounds awfully familiar Meagan. :wink: I think I know where you got that from.

But seriosuly, I have used this method, more or less. Food works wonders in training! I have taken the advice of the person who wrote that article (she is from my club) and the results are fantastic. Taking her advice, I even go as far as handfeeding all the meals in the beginning. It works great with a new pup but could probably be used on older dogs too! Make yourself your dogs sole food source and its amazing the attentiion they will give you and it doesn't take them long to figure out that you are the centre of their universe!

Once you have their attention, the sky is the limit with their training.

I so wish I would have used this method with Rosco!!! :oops:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Bremner53 said:
I got it off True Grit, That is how I worked on attention with Dozer, and Lucy, it definately works
LOL. The guy who posted it on TG took it from our board!!! That's Frabo's article.

·
Registered
181 Posts
EXCELLENT article!!

As far as I'm concerned, attention work is the absolute basis for EVERYTHING, and started with Ozy the day we brought him home. I use "watch" to get their eyes on me and "release" as our end word (mostly because I say "Okay" All. The. Time!!).

My trainer likes to say that if you don't have the eyes, you're not going to get anywhere.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Chynasmom said:
EXCELLENT article!!

As far as I'm concerned, attention work is the absolute basis for EVERYTHING, and started with Ozy the day we brought him home. I use "watch" to get their eyes on me and "release" as our end word (mostly because I say "Okay" All. The. Time!!).

My trainer likes to say that if you don't have the eyes, you're not going to get anywhere.
Good post Chynasmom!!

I find a RELEASE command to be so important!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts