Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've had a topic about V8 juice before . I did further research and continued to feed my dog V8 juice with his kibbles. I've seen great results with his skin and coat. I was just wondering if any of the members would be willing to try experimenting with this. I would like to see what the results would be with other dogs.

here is some info I've found. There are antioxidant found in V8 juice that dogs need. I was told when dogs were in the wild their prey were mostly herbivores. Each time they killed a prey they would eat their intestine to get the antiocidants and nutrients dogs needed.

if anyone is willing to try it keep in touch with this post.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
i will be changing vegas's food this coming week or so ill look into the V8 thing and let you know what i deside :wink:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I don't think so. I still think tomatoes are too acidy. Good luck, though.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also tomatoes contain that lycopene -- a carotenoid in tomatoes that has been linked to a lowered risk of cancer.
Thinking is one thing and doing is another. Tyson loves the V8 juice in his kibbles. The acid in V8 is maybe less than 2%

"Recent studies have shown free radicals to be implicated in the cause of more than 50 diseases including heart disease, various forms of cancer, cataracts, and premature aging. Free radicals are unstable oxygen molecules that, according to research, can hit each cell in the body 10,000 times each day. As these free radicals constantly hit the cell membrane, it starts to break down and become weak. This weakness will eventually lead to cell mutation or death of the cell. Thereby, attacking the healthy parts of the body and degrading the immune system.

Antioxidants are vitamins, minerals and enzymes that protect the body from the damaging effects of free radicals. Antioxidants, which have healing properties are found in certain vitamins and foods. The body manufactures a defense against free radicals in the form of antioxidants. However, there are more free radicals actively destroying the cell membrane than our body can defend against. This is where the powerful antioxidants in step in to assist the natural defense mechanism of the bodies"

Our dogs have better digestive system than us. Look at the dog food that they're fed.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"The tomato is essentially an alkaline vegetable. Its acid taste is due to malic acid which is about 0.5 per cent. It also contains 0.52 to 1.81 per cent citric acid and only a trace of oxalic acid. These acids in tomatoes, in combination with sodium and potassium either form sodium or potassium acid malate, citrate or oxalate. Their end products, when oxidized in the body, are carbon dioxide, water and the carbonates of potassium and sodium. The latter has alkaline reaction. Tomatoes, thus leave an alkaline ash in the process of being oxidized by the body. This increases the alkalinity of the blood and decreases the urine and neutralizes the acid compounds of the body such as phosphates, urea and ammonia. It is, therefore, highly beneficial in the treatment of acidosis and other disease associated with too much acid in the system"

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Did you know that the tomato vine is poisonous to dogs? The tomato itself is not poisonous but the green parts are....Sorry I thought that I would add that........I think that I am going to give V8 a try for Tora

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
AsianRedneck said:
"The tomato is essentially an alkaline vegetable. Its acid taste is due to malic acid which is about 0.5 per cent. It also contains 0.52 to 1.81 per cent citric acid and only a trace of oxalic acid. These acids in tomatoes, in combination with sodium and potassium either form sodium or potassium acid malate, citrate or oxalate. Their end products, when oxidized in the body, are carbon dioxide, water and the carbonates of potassium and sodium. The latter has alkaline reaction. Tomatoes, thus leave an alkaline ash in the process of being oxidized by the body. This increases the alkalinity of the blood and decreases the urine and neutralizes the acid compounds of the body such as phosphates, urea and ammonia. It is, therefore, highly beneficial in the treatment of acidosis and other disease associated with too much acid in the system"
Good info, Thanks Asian :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main thing is our dogs need antioxidants. Some people told me when dogs kill their prey they go for the intestine first. Eating the undigested fruits and grain stored in the preys stomach. You might sometimes witness your dog trying to eat grass. It's a sign of lack of nutrition.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
very interesting!

I'll check that out, see my pom loves fruits and veggies but my late pit wouldn't touch them.

How are your dogs with veggies?

What I did give my late girl was Solid Gold Green Cow Tripe, it's cow stomach (the one with all the digestive enzymes) and it was full of the grass and stuff that cows eats. Veggies are very healthy for you dog because they eat the whole animal in the wild, which includes their insides.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
had a discussion with my vet today. he said Tomatoes are ok but is small portions. He did mention if you feed your dog grapes. Too much can cause their kidneys or liver to fail. I did explain to him about antioxidants found in V8 juice and he did agree.

Tomatoes were also found to treat athritis too...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Green beans are excellent.. I did have a thought though about the V8 juice.
Isn't that ALOT of sodium?
I think they sell a low sodium one actually that would probably be better.

·
Registered
886 Posts
yes, V8 does have lots of sodium. Think the low sodium version is still pretty high. If it is tomatoes that dogs need, there are tomatoes juices that have no added sodium (don't taste as good, but better for you).

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i love v8, just add a little vodka, some spice and a nice piece of celery, yup i am there!

as for giving it to my dogs, no . to many preserves, sodium ect. i do how ever feed diced plum tomatos( or field if they r in season) as well as other fresh veg.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
That's a great idea I just had!

Get out your blenders or juicers and make your own "V8" juice!

No sodium, no preservatives, and it's fresh (and organic if you want)

And if your dog doesn't care for veggies, sneak them in some gravy or broth..

Very interesting!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I feed my dogs pureed veggies every day. Basically anything left in my fridge that I'm not going to eat. Sometimes I steam them and then run them through the blender. Sometimes I juice them and then feed the dogs the pulp and drink the juice myself! :lol: I take the veggies and mix in some yogurt or cottage cheese to make it more appetizing for the dogs. It's the first thing they go for when I put the bowl down.

I've always read that it is best to avoid nightshade veggies as well as tomatoes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts