Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently contacted a trainer I worked with briefly with my bosses dog (I'm a Nanny). She's certified to evaluate for CGC and Therapy work, two things I really want to get Harley into. She wants $50 for the first 1 hour session, then $35 thereafter. It is totally 1:1 . I think she's good (what I remember). Would you pay that much?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I wouldn't but thats becouse I don't have the money to do it, kids suck my money up as soon as I make it :lol:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any $ either. My truck is in the shop, and it's gonna cost me $1200 to get it back. I have NO MONEY. I'll have to charge the training, and my interest rate is 30% :twisted: I'm broke, but I really want to do this. Harley's never met a trainer (x-cept me :wink: ), but I don't have your backround. I'm kinda workin' blind

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you think shes worth it and you bhave the money then go for it, its your money. I know trainers who charge a hell of alot more. Are her sessions, group or private. If they are private that actually sounds like a deal.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I think that's pretty reasonable. Would she let you have 30-minute sessions? $35 for two 30-minute training sessions sounds much better than $35 for one 1-hour training session. :)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
nanniesrock said:
I don't have any $ either. My truck is in the shop, and it's gonna cost me $1200 to get it back. I have NO MONEY. I'll have to charge the training, and my interest rate is 30% :twisted: I'm broke, but I really want to do this. Harley's never met a trainer (x-cept me :wink: ), but I don't have your backround. I'm kinda workin' blind
try getting some training books you can get them in the libary and they don't cost anything

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've already read quite a few. The problem with that is, if there's someting "off" about my body language, or I do something incorrectly, how would I know? I've taught her sit, stay, down, come, leave it, wait, off, and crate so far. I must be doing something right. I'd just like a better idea on how I can improve my own techniques. I really like the idea of asking for 2 1/2 hour sessions. don't know if she'll go for it, but it can't hurt to ask. I was also thinking about every other week, so I'd really have a chance to perfect what we learn between sessions. I don't want her to train my dog, I want her to train ME :wink:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Have you checked into sessions that include more then 1:1 ratio???Simply for the socialization. Mine ran for $65 for a 6 week session at an hour persession. That was throughout obdeience. And the other classes ranged about the same. I learned ALOT!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Wow when I read posts like this and hear stories from other people it makes me realize how lucky I am to be training with the people I do. I train at a very small club with only 4 members right now (which I am also the treasurer) and pay $420 per year! That includes twice per week training which is totally flexiible depending on my schedule. My training includes one on one help with obeidence and also 2 rounds of protection training. I also have 2 dogs I bring along and get tracking help when I need it. I also have people helping me who are very passionate about dogs and love my breed!! I am so lucky becasue I know so many people have to pay an arm and a leg and I know the people who are running the club I train at could easily turn it into "private lessons" and charge me an arm and a leg but they don't because they just love the training! I am so lucky to have people like that where its about the dogs and not about the $$$.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have looked into group classes, but I socialize the heck out of her on my own. Every week she goes to : preschool to get my daughter, and love from the other kids, to work with me to play with Dakota, my bosses dog, to my Mom's on the weekend extended family visits & mom has 2 acres for stretching her legs, and she also goes ANYWHERE I think I won't get kicked out of ( the lake for fishing Derby's, my sisters, she has 2 dogs, to name a few. Seriously, my dog and I are a package deal. Plus I've taught her all the basics myself, so I kinda feel like it would be a waste.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I pay $35/hr for private agility sessions. It's worth it to me. :D

The classes tend to be cheaper, but Boss is half as focused in a class with other dogs as he is when doing private sessions. I think starting out with privates and learning all the basics and what not is better than doing it in a class with other dogs.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I would definately do 1/2 hr sessions. When i was working at an obedience school, we did 1/2 hr sessions, because it's hard to keep a dog motivated and attentive for long periods of time if you are training for something new. You always want to end ona high note, not the dog feeling frustrated. What kind of training is it for? CGC? or just regular obedience, like sharpening his response time and stuff?

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i gotta agree with the elf, an hour is far to long for a training session. specially for a young dog.. $35 an hour is completely reasonable for the city i live in but most trainers will do 1/2 hour "packages" so it ends up being closer to , about, $22 a session

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I think $35 an hour is a pretty good price. That said - and this is really none of my business - I think if I were you I'd look at how many hours it takes, on average, to acheive the goals you're aiming for and think long and hard if that is worth going to debt over right now. Maybe sometime down the road it won't be such a financial burden?

·
Registered
48 Posts
My suggestion would be to pay for a couple of lessons then work on what you were taught for a couple of weeks until you think you have mastered the technique. Then pay for a couple more lessons, and repeat.

I charge $30 a lesson to teach kids to pitch. I teach them one week, they practice with a parent for a week, then come back to me. Kid learns, parent learns, I get paid. Same with dog training: you learn, the dog learns, teacher gets paid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.