Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wrestling with my puppy (4 months) and he loves it. Is there anything I should be careful about or watching out for? Anyone advise against this? He knows we need to be in a certain room to wrestle and it has to be okayed. The wrestling gets pretty rough but nothing that would hurt him.

-- mr c

·
Registered
634 Posts
it ok to play alittle ruff with your pup but i would al so add alpha rolls in as well wile playing put him down in the submissive position for like 20 30 sec let him calm down let him up and keep playing he will lurn your the boss and he has to respect you but will have fun at the same time

·
Registered
932 Posts
I always thought this was bad?

My husband always plays rough with Patch and i get angry at him because it might promote aggression!

He has never bitten or hurt though... and when we say stop he stops.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I don't agree with wrestling with the dog at all, unless it already knows it's roll in the pack. Otherwise, your stooping to the dogs level and many dogs will take advantage of this.

Alpha rolls are good, but they are sometimes hard for big bully breed dogs and i'm talking for a normal sized adult. Some dogs will look at this as a threat, as in a pack, that could get killed and the alpha roll is just the beginning. I'm not saying this is a bad technique, but you must be EXTREMELY careful. The dog could feel a need to defend it-self and in that case, you could get bitten.

·
Registered
634 Posts
ambulldogpup said:
I don't agree with wrestling with the dog at all, unless it already knows it's roll in the pack. Otherwise, your stooping to the dogs level and many dogs will take advantage of this.

Alpha rolls are good, but they are sometimes hard for big bully breed dogs and i'm talking for a normal sized adult. Some dogs will look at this as a threat, as in a pack, that could get killed and the alpha roll is just the beginning. I'm not saying this is a bad technique, but you must be EXTREMELY careful. The dog could feel a need to defend it-self and in that case, you could get bitten.
its a 4 month old puppy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts