Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone.
I just registered and would like some advice. I am interested in getting an american bulldog. I have been doing a lot of reading about them and they sound like great dogs, but most of the literature says that AB's aren't good for the first time dog owner. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
while bullys are great dogs, they are a very stuborn breed and can be hard for a first time owner.
this isnt saying it can be done, just you will need to have alot of patients(sp)
the best thing if you do deside to get one is read all that you can on them from web sites like this, from people that own the breed
they can give great advice
many breeds are easier on new time owners, but any dog has the potental to be a handful
good luck
biscanton

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Welcome! I've always heard people say that pit bulls are also bad for first-time owners. Bella is my first dog, and she's definitely been a challenge. But I think if you're willing to give your dog everything you have, you should be just fine. Just make sure that you're willing to educate yourself as much as possible, devote tons of time to training and socializing, and put up with all of the crap people will give you for owning what they think is a dangerous dog.

Good luck with whatever route you choose to go!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Welcome! I've always heard people say that pit bulls are also bad for first-time owners. Bella is my first dog, and she's definitely been a challenge. But I think if you're willing to give your dog everything you have, you should be just fine. Just make sure that you're willing to educate yourself as much as possible, devote tons of time to training and socializing, and put up with all of the crap people will give you for owning what they think is a dangerous dog.

Good luck with whatever route you choose to go!
I am with you on that....If you are willing to do the work then you are ready for the breed

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you are interested in getting a American Bulldog, here is a very good book for someone new looking into the breed. It tells the origin of the breed... explains the different lines and how they came about. (Painter/Scott/Johnson) The author goes into breaking down his own person search for his first American Bulldog... kennels he visited... what he learned. Then he shares his experiences with weight pulling, protection training and experiences at the shows. Wraps up with breaking down about 12 American Bulldog kennels and what each has to offer and what type of dogs they breed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/09...102-3902735-3068128?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

If you are interested in an American Bulldog, you need to figure out what you want to do with the dog. You want a bigger bully type of dog? You would want one with Johnson bloodlines. Dogs with Painter bloodlines are said to be more protective. Scott/Williamson - performance, less bully, longer muzzle.

I have a 9 year old Hybrid - Mostly Sure grip and Johnson blood.. some painter. An a 13 week Scott (performance) type from Jousha Kennels. When I take my older one for a walk in the summer... it takes him which seems like forver to cool down and stop panting... which I hate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts