Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Shadow out on a walk and someone was telling me how "small" he is for a pitbull. I've never really paid much attention to the comment until now, he's always seemed to be the perfect size for his breed.

I guess so many people are getting caught up in the dogs who are well over 100lbs...I know I'm just over-reacting about it, but I'd like to see what other people thought.

Shadow is currently 1yr and 4 1/2 months old and weights in at 62lbs. He is built just like his mom and has the same build almost. His dad weighs around 80lbs and his mom was around 65-70lbs.

The other pups from the litter got alot of his dads features and are thicker and are weighing in around 70lbs now. I met Shadows "brother" and he is huge, his owner is training him in weight pulling and he seems to be doing well...but I don't really know alot about it so I'm not gonna say he's doing great or anything.

But what do you think? I'm happy with the way Shadow is and I wouldn't change him for the world, he's the perfect dog for me. He's not to big and he's not to small.

Pictures of Shadows mom

Shadows dad - sorry not the greatest photo

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I know he looks perfect to me!! Poeple comment on Tora being too small all the time and I think that she is huge for her age. She is about 5 months old and she weights about 50 lbs I don't think that is too bad...But poeple are like your dog is too small blah,blah, blah my AB weighted 200lb..Mygirlfriend was with me one day and a guy made a comment, she took his hand clear off, lol...SHe snarled well your dog is not to breed stanard :evil:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy crap a AB weighing 200lbs?!?! I've never done much research on em but that seems alittle to big. I always figured em to be around 100lbs or so.

I don't know why that comment ticked me off, it's just one of those things just annoys me. But I've heard so many comments about his size, I had a cousin tell me he wasn't thick enough or muscular enough, and etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
16,023 Posts
Well if she thought Shadow was small at 62 lbs, she would have thought Clara
was tiny at 43 lbs. Maybe she has them confused with the Amercian Bulldog size.
:wink:

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Heaven only weighs 45 pounds! Actually at her last vet appointment, she lost a few pounds, she weighed 42. I sometimes think she's a Staffie Bull mix. I love how little she is, she is the perfect size dog for me!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
LifeIsDaPits said:
Holy crap a AB weighing 200lbs?!?! I've never done much research on em but that seems alittle to big. I always figured em to be around 100lbs or so.

I don't know why that comment ticked me off, it's just one of those things just annoys me. But I've heard so many comments about his size, I had a cousin tell me he wasn't thick enough or muscular enough, and etc etc.
:shock: That is what they all say 200lb I have never seen it but whatever..It really pi$$es me off too when they make comments like that about her, like there is something wrong with her. I am like well your dog is a freak of nature and my dog could run, play, etc your dog :p K so I am actign like a 5yr old but this is my kid you are talking about. Execuse me for getting my dog from a breeder that did not breed outside of the standard..I am sorry that her head is not "blocky"enough and she isn't choking from her over sized neck and headers...Sorry for my rant but it really makes me mad

·
Registered
410 Posts
nahhh he is not small... Titus is about the same age and weight and he is not small and he is not huge either... actually he is the largest out of his litter, the breeder saw him about a month ago and told us that he is now bigger than his parents and other siblings... maybe it is just the good food??? LOL!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
This is what it says on dogbreedinfo.com

"Please Note: The APBT ranges in size from 22 pounds to 110 pounds (rare), with the most common being between 35 - 55 pounds (16-25 kg.), in fact the original APBT's were between 20 - 40 pounds (9-18 kg.) and were bred small for their main purpose, fighting, These dogs are varying from small to extra large. A very common misconception is that APBT's are muscle bound (viscous) hulks that weigh in around 85 pounds (39 kg.) and this is generally not the majority, Most of the APBT's that Are that large have been crossed with another breeds."

So I'd say your dog is just fine.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
YOUR DOG IS LARGE FOR A PURE BRED PIT BULL

Pred bred APBT's only weigh around 40-65 pounds for a male and 30-60 pounds for a female.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you your dog is small because he is at the top of the weight range.
I find that crazy why people think they are supposed to be these huge dogs.

Too many people told me my late girl was tiny, mind you she was..

65 pounds
22 inches tall at the shoulder
and 24 inches long topline (base of neck to base of tail)

She was huge for a female pit, so don't let anyone tell you crap.

If someone brings up crap about your pit being too small, tell them it's perfect size because it's pure bred.

I hate that they changed the standard to up to 100 pounds, a pure bred APBT can not weigh above 70 pounds
tops. I hate when people insist they can, they are mixed to be that large.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.