Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in Australia and it is currently winter. Although it doesn't get as cold here as it does in America, lately our days range from 0 degrees celcius in the mornings to 18 degrees celcius in the afternoons (not sure about Farenheit conversion).

Patch is an English Staffy, so his coat is quite thin... and he's malting (even though it's winter, which i think is a little strange).

My husband doesn't want his tough doggy in a cute little doggy jumper (or 'sweater', using the American term) but I think he needs it in winter!

He's outside all day on his own while we are at work.... what do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I hate dog sweaters!!!!!!! BUT my CHihuahua would freeze to death in the winter if she did not have them so I put them on him :oops: . I would tell my DH to get over it....You may have to get some sort of heating system for his dog house so he does not freeze.....bc they can get the sweaters off

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
It doesn't have to be a sweater persay. We got Haus a hoodie when he was younger.

Oh, and booties too:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha ha ha
I LOVE Haus' hoody!!!

well, i've seen some of those funky little bomber jackets, hoody's, and army-print hoody's....
they are SO cute... i am going to get one over the weekend.
I think he just needs it at night... cos it mainly gets cold here at night.

the hubby will just have to get over it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I don't dress Bogey up very much, and to be honest, I don't think he really needs it (even with our cold Minnesota winters), but he does have his red playa cape and reflective gear for when it gets really cold. :lol:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I hate clothes for dogs also. They are born with a built in coat! Seriously, I think some people baby their dogs just a little too much.

Patch, if you are worried about your dog being cold when you are gone, either kennel the dog inside the house (safer anyways, people steal dgos from backyards) or get yourself a nice igloo doghouse and fill it with straw. AS long as you get the proper sized house and it is not too big your dog should be fine. I would also be concerned about a dog tearing the clothes off and possibly eating them and causing a blockage. Especially a puppy.

·
Super Moderator
16,022 Posts
I would also be concerned about a dog tearing the clothes off and possibly eating them and causing a blockage. Especially a puppy.
Do have to agree with this, as they will chew anything when not being supervised.
That dog house sounds pretty good and put the opening away from the wind.
However, I do like to put a little sweater on Clara at night when I am at home.
My other three dogs have lots of fur, so they keep pleanty warm, but Clara is
mostly skin with a fur covering that is about as thick as a cheap blanket and she
gets a little cold in winter weather - sweater or blanket is cheaper than a vet bill.
:D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Bogey only wears it when we go outside for a walk during cold Minnesota evenings. He doesn't wear clothes while inside.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Lylasmum said:
LOL...doesn't HE look impressed!!! :x
Haha. He doesn't mind the coat, but the boots he doesn't like. He rarely wears them. I got them because people put tons of salt on their sidewalks during the winter and I had heard that the salt is bad for their paws or something.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your responses.

The only time i've ever seen Patch cold, is when we finish giving him his bubble bath... he shivers a bit (obviously) so he just sleeps in front of the heater on his dog bed.

He has a pretty cool kennel, i might add. I've got a big pillow and doggy blanket in it, and the doorway is facing a fence so the wind doesn't get into it... so maybe he doesn't really need a doggy coat?

The thing is, he sheds his hair A LOT and he's getting a bit thin... i just think he MUST be getting cold when we put him outside of an evening!?

(for those of you who don't know, Patch is an outside dog, but comes inside when we're home, which is usually in the evenings... but goes outside to sleep in his lush kennel!)

I AM worried about him chewing it now.. that never occurred to me... he LOVES chewing (and digging!) so i hope he doesn't chew on any coat i might put on him? also, he is forever scratching around where his collar is... he doesn't like wearing one... so maybe a coat might irritate him?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am in the no doggy cloths clan. Mom and I had to get this clear before we got the pup. She agreed to not dress her and I agreed not to turn my nose up at her pink bespangled collar. As far as the cold though I think providing your pooch with access to a spot to stay warm is certainly a great idea and much less abrasive on the male ego.

·
Registered
136 Posts
With a staffy and retriever in the yard we went through 8 coats over a 3 week period. We tried the fitted jumpers, fleecy sloppy joe jackets and I even made a special one for Storm.

Now Storm just climbs into the kennel at night and Sam follows her in there and cuddles up, she has her own living goldy bed warmer. :lol:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dogs cannot properly warm or cool themselves in clothes. While they are cute, just for fun, they serve no real purpose and could actually make things worse for your doggy in a situation such as yours. Also, as Lisa said, they can be torn off, chewed up and swallowed without supervision.

If your dog has a good insulated dog house with some sort of heat conducter (straw, blankets if they do not chew them) etc. that is all you should need.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My dog, being the "Princess of Couture", wears clothing most of the time and she's a pomeranian (picture 6 inch long hair).

It is important for dogs, especially short coated ones, to wear coats in bad weather outdoors.

You wear a raincoat so when it's raining put one on your dog.
You wear a sweater so when it's cold put one on your dog.

My pit bull had a large hat box full of clothing, everything from t-shirts for fall to sweaters to a parka jacket for the snow.
She even had raincoats and a leather biker jacket, which matched the pom's raincoat and biker jacket.

My pom has an entire closet:

We were even on TV showcasing her closet..

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
PitBullRoyalty said:
My dog, being the "Princess of Couture", wears clothing most of the time and she's a pomeranian (picture 6 inch long hair).

It is important for dogs, especially short coated ones, to wear coats in bad weather outdoors.

You wear a raincoat so when it's raining put one on your dog.
You wear a sweater so when it's cold put one on your dog.

My pit bull had a large hat box full of clothing, everything from t-shirts for fall to sweaters to a parka jacket for the snow.
She even had raincoats and a leather biker jacket, which matched the pom's raincoat and biker jacket.

My pom has an entire closet:

We were even on TV showcasing her closet..
This is a joke right?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I hate to see dogs in clothes :evil: I'm sorry if this offends anyone but i can see no other reason for doing this other that the owner of the dog/s actually enjoys dressing their dogs up. If you want to dress something in silly little clothes then go buy a dolly !!!

To answer your question, No i dont think you should buy your dog a "coat" Staffordshire Bull Terriers are a very hardy breed of dog. :wink: :D It is alot colder here in the UK that it is in OZ :lol:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
If it makes some people happy to dress their dogs up, let them dress their dogs up! Yes, you may think it's stupid and pointless (and I'd be with you on that...LOL!), but I'm sure a lot of things you do in your life are stupid and pointless to other people. As long as they are not physically harming their dogs or neglecting their basic needs, what's so terrible about dressing up their dogs? JM2C. :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
If it makes some people happy to dress their dogs up, let them dress their dogs up! Yes, you may think it's stupid and pointless (and I'd be with you on that...LOL!), but I'm sure a lot of things you do in your life are stupid and pointless to other people. As long as they are not physically harming their dogs or neglecting their basic needs, what's so terrible about dressing up their dogs? JM2C. :)
Fair play, i was just venting some frustration :oops: :lol: :lol:

I did aplogise in advance if anyone took offence :wink: :lol:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.