Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bubba is now 10 months old and is becoming quite an awesome dog. He gets along great with us but isn't a big fan of other dogs. He doesn't growl or pull in their direction but it's almost a "smug" ignore. My wife says he's stuck up but I tell her he should be :). Our trainer keeps telling me I should socialize him more but I ignore him to a point. Bub isn't a "protection/working" dog and we really aren't around any other dogs. Our training sessions are one on one with no other dogs present. He has NEVER had an issue when walking by dogs while we are out. For some reason he just ignores them. I think it's great but who knows.

Anyway, over the weekend I was messing around with my wife (wrestling). We were both laughing and here comes BUBBA!!!! Out of no where he starts barking at me. Yes it was pretty vicious but he never really came close to me. I pretended as if I was hitting Kim and he barked even more. The growls and head shakes came next. I approached him and he immediately stopped and went into a "down" posture. It was pretty submissive.

1. Do you think it was ok that he barked @ me but didn't approach?
2. My wife pretended to hit me but he didn't bark. Wonder if this means he doesn't care? :)
3. I pretended to be attacking my kids and he did the same thing he did when I did it to my wife. Good?
4. What in your opinion would happen if it were a stranger attacking my wife?
5. I am thinking of taking my wife to training next week and see what the trainer thinks. Should I?
6. Is Bub aggressive to a point or every dog would do the same.

thanks for your ideas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,658 Posts
Family of 5 said:
2. My wife pretended to hit me but he didn't bark. Wonder if this means he doesn't care? :)

My old dog would do something like this. If my boyfriend and I were wrestling he would start barking like crazy. If i then playfully hit my boyfriend or if i would start to lose, Wilson would lunge and try to tackle him to the ground! Let's just say I always had the upper hand!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,607 Posts
Well, my opinion is far from some of the more experienced on here, BUT...my boxer, Shelby, is the same way. My husband and I play wrestle all the time and she will go after him in a minute if she thinks he's hurting me. Now Koda on the other hand could care less. And Shelby is the same as you said Bubba was...if I pretend to hit my husband she doesn't care and won't react. She will also go after him if he does this to our daughter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,723 Posts
Well, Bruno and Lucy both bark at Chad like that when he gets rough. All he has to do is put his fists up and Lucy LOSES it, she barks like she is going to kill him. She knows its all in play though. Bruno would bark at who ever was hitting the person, he would bark and jump on you, but he would stop right away also. I could always tell they were playing though. Some people who see Lucy doing don't think she is playing, but we know she is. So I know that wasn't much help, sorry, haha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,423 Posts
I think most dogs will do the same. I know mine do. Well, Jazz does anyway. She doesn't like it when we play fight. She'll growl and nip at who ever is the aggressor, usually just at a sleeve or pantleg. Chopper just jumps around trying to play. :roll: I don't encourage the behavior, but I don't really see it as a problem. Do I think she'd protect if it were a real attack, doubt it. But who knows. :dontknow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,755 Posts
Bremner53 said:
All he has to do is put his fists up and Lucy LOSES it, she barks like she is going to kill him. She knows its all in play though.
I do this to Bella! I stick my fists up and say "Put up your dukes!" and she wiggles her whole body and grumbles and growls at me. She sometimes jumps up on her back legs and swings her front legs and paws. It's one of her favorite games!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,577 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
Bremner53 said:
All he has to do is put his fists up and Lucy LOSES it, she barks like she is going to kill him. She knows its all in play though.
I do this to Bella! I stick my fists up and say "Put up your dukes!" and she wiggles her whole body and grumbles and growls at me. She sometimes jumps up on her back legs and swings her front legs and paws. It's one of her favorite games!
Too cute!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bremner53 said:
Well, Bruno and Lucy both bark at Chad like that when he gets rough. All he has to do is put his fists up and Lucy LOSES it, she barks like she is going to kill him. She knows its all in play though. Bruno would bark at who ever was hitting the person, he would bark and jump on you, but he would stop right away also. I could always tell they were playing though. Some people who see Lucy doing don't think she is playing, but we know she is. So I know that wasn't much help, sorry, haha.
it's funny how we realize our bullies wouldn't actually do anything to us, per se. But if you were to bring a stranger over and they would see your dog doing this they would get very nervous. nothing like seeing an 80 lb pit/bulldog just biting at the bit to get to you but knowing if they did there would be hell to pay. :D

I would like to know what he would do if a stranger did this to my wife. I may tt my trainer about setting something up. Ohio is funny though about anything considered "bite work".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,247 Posts
This is not wrong for the dog to bark, and he immediatley went down in a submissive pose when you approached him, he knows who is boss.

The breed is a protector, Bubba is being a good boy.

If a stranger was attacking your wife, in my opinion, i think Bubba may try to attack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,272 Posts
if your gunna play that game can i ask what you would do if he did decide to bite you?
bubba was nicely tryin to tell you to cut it out. i would "almost" guarentee he would do nothing more than put on a show BUT just what if bubba happens to be one of those very few dogs that would take it to the next level? then what would you do?
if you wanna play you gotta be willing to pay.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
attitude said:
if your gunna play that game can i ask what you would do if he did decide to bite you?
bubba was nicely tryin to tell you to cut it out. i would "almost" guarentee he would do nothing more than put on a show BUT just what if bubba happens to be one of those very few dogs that would take it to the next level? then what would you do?
if you wanna play you gotta be willing to pay.
I think I'd pay the price. I'm not sure if he would bite me or not but if I provoked it I should pay the price. You are correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,671 Posts
attitude said:
if your gunna play that game can i ask what you would do if he did decide to bite you?
bubba was nicely tryin to tell you to cut it out. i would "almost" guarentee he would do nothing more than put on a show BUT just what if bubba happens to be one of those very few dogs that would take it to the next level? then what would you do?
if you wanna play you gotta be willing to pay.
Good post Atttiude. I agree 100%.

I have never been a fan of horseplay around dogs. I really think it can be an accident waiting to happen. There are other, safer ways of finding out what a dog is made of. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,279 Posts
All righty then my story: Hubby and I rough house all time.The one night he was doing what you did with your wife and Buster acted the same way.Hubby told me to yell like I was being hurt so I did which really made Buster mad and he started barking louder and getting in between hubby and I well next thing I know he bit hubby.We no longer rough house while the dogs are in the room or any were around.He and I know Buster was just protecting me or just got pissed at us for playing like that.......lol Lesson learned :wink: Not sure though if it was a protective thing or not but I myself feel it was just by how he was acting. Now if it were a stranger I dont know if he would run the other way or do what he did to hubby.I would like to think he would bite the person but my luck he would run but then again Buster doesn't run from anything unless he is getting yelled out so I dont know........lol WE pushed the limit with him though.We wanted to see how upset he would get over something like that and well we now know :oops:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,989 Posts
Lisa said:
attitude said:
if your gunna play that game can i ask what you would do if he did decide to bite you?
bubba was nicely tryin to tell you to cut it out. i would "almost" guarentee he would do nothing more than put on a show BUT just what if bubba happens to be one of those very few dogs that would take it to the next level? then what would you do?
if you wanna play you gotta be willing to pay.
Good post Atttiude. I agree 100%.

I have never been a fan of horseplay around dogs. I really think it can be an accident waiting to happen. There are other, safer ways of finding out what a dog is made of. :D
Bustersmommy said:
All righty then my story: Hubby and I rough house all time.The one night he was doing what you did with your wife and Buster acted the same way.Hubby told me to yell like I was being hurt so I did which really made Buster mad and he started barking louder and getting in between hubby and I well next thing I know he bit hubby.We no longer rough house while the dogs are in the room or any were around.He and I know Buster was just protecting me or just got pissed at us for playing like that.......lol Lesson learned Wink Not sure though if it was a protective thing or not but I myself feel it was just by how he was acting. Now if it were a stranger I dont know if he would run the other way or do what he did to hubby.I would like to think he would bite the person but my luck he would run but then again Buster doesn't run from anything unless he is getting yelled out so I dont know........lol WE pushed the limit with him though.We wanted to see how upset he would get over something like that and well we now know
These are my beliefs, also. Plus, I also believe that with each time a dog is
put into this situation, the less hesitant he becomes to bite. More importantly, the next time,
it could be kids rough housing. Wouldn't want to take that chance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
normal to me

That seems like quit normal to ME....
Lyla does something like that.....
I don't see that as an issue, he is getting excited due to all the action.
I'm not there to see it, but I'm sure Bubba knows that it is all joking around.
Your insticts will tell you. And as for Bubba ignoring dogs...I think that is GREAT...I wish Lyla WOULD ignore dogs while I walk her!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,671 Posts
Re: normal to me

Lylasmum said:
And as for Bubba ignoring dogs...I think that is GREAT...I wish Lyla WOULD ignore dogs while I walk her!!!
I agree! I forgot to make mention of that in my previous post but having a dog like this is a good thing! Who wants their dog focussed on other dogs anyways? I don't. ..A dog that doesn't pay attention to other dogs is much easier to train! Besides, often times I think that dogs who act like this are just confident. They are more or less saying "I am the shit, you are lower than me, as long as you don't challenge all is cool with me..get in my face though and look out!".

I hate dog aggression or anything even remotely related to it. Pain in the ass to deal with in training and its often not the indication of strong character that some people (not saying you, James) believe. In fact, "sometimes" I think it can be the opposite as I have seen it go hand in hand with weak nerves with a few dogs I have seen. Coincidence? I am not so sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
Mine do the same thing. Scarlet more then Clutch...he is a care free dog LOL! When we play wrestle at all she gets going barking like mad! But as soon as we stop and approach her its all loves and kisses. All you have to do is raise a hand and she losses it, Just like Lucy! I think they think its play and assiciate it with rough housing with them. Like hey now I need to be in this one! I wouldnt worry about it, just keep an eye out for too much excitment...he may pounce and scratch (Scarlet is notorious for this) LOL! She wants to be in the middle of everything!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top